Yields 3-4 cups of hummus (a lot!)
• 2 medium sweet potatoes
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 cups chickpeas
• 3 tablespoons tahini
• 3 cloves garlic, peeled
• juice of 1 lemon
• zest of 1/2 lemon
• ground sea salt, to taste
• 1 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
• 1/4 teaspoon cumin
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake the sweet potatoes on the middle oven rack or in a baking dish for 45 minutes to an hour. They should yield to a gentle squeeze when they’re done baking.
2. While the sweet potatoes are cooling, toss all of the other ingredients into a food processor. Once the sweet potatoes have cooled enough to handle, use a knife or your fingers to peel the skin off of them. Add the sweet potatoes to the food processor.
3. Blend well, and serve! I garnished mine with a light sprinkle of cayenne pepper and sesame seeds.
This hummus makes a great appetizer or snack with pita wedges or pita chips and raw veggies like broccoli and strips of red bell pepper. This hummus is also delicious on whole wheat bagels, or grilled in between tortillas as a vegan quesadilla. Enjoy!